October 31, 2014

All Access Press Club (Subscribers)



Online all-access is free to print subscribers. Username is your account number, 7-digit number before the expiration date on your mailing label. Password is your zip code.




Items left in oven spark small fire
Written by Erika Schmidt Russell   
Friday, June 07, 2013 2:04 PM

Greendale Fire Chief Shannon Craig has some advice for all Dearborn County residents “Check the oven before you turn it on to preheat for cooking, and especially before setting it on the cleaning cycle.”

For at least the third time in as many months, Greendale Fire Department responded to a stove fire Thursday afternoon, June 6.

The resident at 513 Nead Lane set her oven to preheat, then when to the basement to do something. She came back upstairs to a houseful of smoke, said Craig.

She left the house and called 911 at 1:26 p.m., Greendale Fire was on the scene at 1:31 p.m., with Lawrenceburg and Aurora fire departments on a co-dispatch responding as well.

“There were pans and some plastic bowls in the oven, and when we got there there was visible smoke coming out of the house on the first and second floors,” said Craig.

While it only took about five gallons of water to get the fire out, there was a lot of smoke in the residence. GFD had to shut of the gas to the stove, so Sycamore Gas was contacted to inspect the connections as well, he said.

Assisting at the scene were the Greendale life squad and the Lawrenceburg and Aurora fire departments.

This fire comes on the heels of two others where the oven was set to preheat for baking and items were left inside, and a third was set on the cleaning cycle with items left inside, said Craig.